Whether you’re local to the area or planning a visit to Poole this month, you are bound to want to know about the following events! All events listed below are based on Poole quay, which is just under an hour’s stroll along the water’s edge from the Salterns, or around a 10 minute drive.
Poole Harbour Boat Show
– 7th-9th June, 10am-6pm at Poole Quay Boat Haven, BH15 1HJ
Poole is yet again set to host the biggest free to attend Boat Show on the South Coast in June.
In association with Sunseeker, there is anticipated to be over 200 exhibitors and over 100 boats on the water, including tall ships and celebrity style yachts. There will also be an impressive line-up of ‘on the water’ activities and workshops, with the Boat Show’s main aim being to get people – especially young people – ‘on the water’. These include:
- Free Taster sessions: On Friday, Saturday and Sunday paddle boarding, kayaking or dinghy sailing taster sessions will be on offer, and The Royal Yachting Association will be running their ‘Try Sailing’ initiative, facilitated by Rockley Watersports, Dorset Marine Training and the Yacht Clubs of Poole. All you need to do to get involved is turn up and book a slot – prior experience is not necessary.
- Port Tours by Sea: Greenslades Pleasure Boats will be offering free port tours over the weekend – their harbour trips usually cost £12 per adult!
- Activities for children: A sand pit in the family picnic area, and a Treasure Hunt Trail – pick up a Show guide which will contain a treasure hunt trail map, enabling kids to follow the clues, complete the questions and be in with the chance of winning a paddle board!
- Racing events: Visitors to the show will be able to watch dinghy and yacht racing throughout the weekend, as well as catch a glimpse of the Power Boats involved in the 2019 Poole Bay 100 Power Boat Race
> in between races which will take place on Saturday 8th June.
- Demonstrations: There will be a number of exciting demonstrations across the weekend, including the RNLI and Poole Harbour Commissioners demonstrating elements of their day-to-day role. Alongside this, Newfoundland dogs are set to impress visitors with a demonstration of the role they play in local water rescue missions!
- In addition, don’t miss the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers freefall parachute display team, who are set to land directly in the harbour at 4pm on Saturday 8th June.
- Live Music: There will be live music on offer throughout the weekend, with the Lord Nelson Live Music Stage featuring local bands, choirs and various entertainment.
- A Gin Bar (in case you can’t quite wait to get back to the Salterns!): Conker Spirits will be hosting a gin bar overlooking the water, providing a great place to relax and enjoy a fabulous tipple of Dorset gin while not missing a minute of action happening on the water!
- Fireworks: Catch the displays at 9:45pm on Friday and Saturday night.
– Sunday 30th June, 11am-4pm at Scaplen’s Court, Poole Quay, BH15 1JW